- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 3/4 cups hottest tap water
- Ice cream
- Heat oven to 350′.
- Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder, and salt in
- ungreased square pan, 9x9x2 inches.
- Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth. Stir in nuts.
- Spread in pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Pour hot water over batter.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- While warm, spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream.
- Spoon sauce from pan onto each serving.
- Butterscotch Sundae Cake: Substitute I package (6 ounces) butterscotch chips (I cup) for the nuts. Decrease brown sugar to 1/2 cup and the 1/4 cup cocoa to 2 tablespoons.
- Mallow Sundae Cake: Substitute I cup miniature marshmallows for the nuts.
- Peanutty Sundae Cake: Substitute 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup chopped peanuts for the nuts.
- Raisin Sundae Cake: Substitute I cup raisins for the nuts.