Thai Shrimp Stew
2 lbs. large shrimp (31-40), peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, sliced into very thin 1 ½ inch strips
4 scallions, thins sliced (white and green parts kept separate)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 large cloves garlic, chopped fine
½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
14.5 oz can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
14 oz. can coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
basmati rice for side dish (make double portion to soak up tasty broth)
- Put rice on to cook after above ingredients are prepared. Shrimp dish only takes 15-20 mins. to cook.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 5- or 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring, until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the scallion whites, ¼ cup of the cilantro, the garlic and the pepper flakes. Continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a summer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer to blend flavors and thicken sauce slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and continue to cook, partially covered, and stirring frequently, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
- Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt. Serve over rice, and sprinkle shrimp with the scallion greens and remaining ¼ cup cilantro.